The team at Lake Country Plastic and Hand Surgery is committed to patients in and around the greater Milwaukee area, helping them look their best and feel great about themselves in the process. One of the many ways that this can be achieved is breast augmentation.
Breast augmentation refers to the placement of implants in order to enhance breast size and improve breast shape. The procedure is one of the most popular and well known cosmetic surgeries out there. There are many ways to insert the implants into the breast area, one of which that we’d like to focus on in more detail involves an incision around the areola.
How the Areolar Breast Augmentation Surgery Technique Works
The areolar breast augmentation surgery method involves an incision placed around the patient’s areola, which is the dark patch of skin around the nipple. Through this incision, a plastic surgeon is able to place a breast implant and improve the size of the patient’s breasts in the process.
The Advantages of the Areolar Breast Augmentation Incision
The advantages of areolar breast augmentation incisions include:
- The procedure is common and plastic surgeons have lots of experience doing this kind of breast augmentation
- The breast implants can be placed in various positions relative to the pectoral muscle and mammary gland using this incision technique
- Working close to the breast in this manner means greater ability to enhance shape and improve size
- Scarring is generally faint and difficult to notice
The Disadvantages of Areolar Breast Augmentation Incision
The disadvantages of areolar breast augmentation incisions include:
- Patients with small areolas may have limitations on the size or type of breast implant that can be used for this incision method
- Higher risk of issues related to breastfeeding given the proximity of the incision to the milk ducts in the breasts
- Higher risk of nipple sensitivity and areola sensitivity issues given the nature of the incision method
- Potential for poor scarring depending on the patient
Other Incision Methods to Consider
If the areolar breast incision method is not an ideal option for a patient, there are many other kinds of incision techniques that may be considered. The traditional incision along the underside crease of the breast is one option to consider, for instance. Incisions may also be made in the arm pit and the belly button, hiding any scars from view.
All of these incision methods have their advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important for patients to keep these in mind as they are going through the consultation process.
Tailoring the Breast Augmentation to the Needs of the Patient
In addition to considering the placement of incisions, our team will work closely and carefully with patients to ensure that their surgery is completely tailored to their needs. This means considering the size and shape of the breast implants to use as well as their composition and the proper profile. All of these matters will be discussed with patients in the planning phases of the procedure.
Schedule a Consultation at Lake Country Plastic and Hand Surgery
For more information about breast augmentation and how it can help you have a curvier and more effeminate frame, be sure to contact our cosmetic skin care and plastic surgery center today. The entire team here at Lake Country Plastic and Hand Surgery looks forward to meeting you in person and helping you achieve all of your aesthetic goals.